Hi, I’m Jo Hompstead founder of ConnectUp.
I have worked in roles that unlock the engagement of people for 20 years, with a variety of organisations, across industries such as Retail, Distribution & Supply Chain, Agriculture, Hospitality, Care and Pharmaceutical.
Following attaining my 2.1 Degree from Southampton University, I had a 17 year career with John Lewis and Waitrose, including responsibility for the recruitment, training and development of company branches with 1 thousand employees, regional roles including international, and head office projects including the key ‘people’ role in a project that increased revenue from £4M to £20M in five years. As part of my own business, I have worked with a variety of organisations, including an international fast food chain, a large Hospice, an international pharmaceutical company and Business in the Community. I also work with SME’s and freelancers. In addition, I am a qualified Workplace Mediator, Counsellor (Level 3), and Mental Health First Aider.
It’s just a no-brainer to me that people work at their best when they are treated as human beings and not just an asset.
I’m known for creating trust and safety to enable me to really get to the nub of what’s going on. I’m really curious about what makes people tick and I enjoy helping leaders and business owners unleash the potential of themselves and their people. I am known for working as a trusted advisor and confidante, drawing ideas together into meaningful action and bringing insight and intelligence to problems.
I help people open up – open up their thinking, and open up to tell me how it really is.
As well as running workshops and thinking space for small business owners and leaders of teams, I work with large teams and whole organisations
Why wouldn’t we want work to be a fulfilling and meaningful place for people to be? Just for the human stuff, but it also makes clear commercial sense.
I’m driven to make an impact on how people feel about and perform at work.
Connected work, intentional actions, allowing people to be their authentic selves in service to the brand.
When I’m not working, I enjoy getting out in nature – whether walking in the New Forest, pottering about on my vegetable patch, or sailing around the Solent. I am an avid reader and learner and I like nothing better that curling up with my cats with a glass of something.
• Certificate in Workplace Mediation
• Level 3 Certificate in Counselling
• Mental Health First Aid
• BA (Hons) English 2.1 from Southampton University
• and I was Head Girl!
PLUS I HAVE
20+ years experience working in roles that unlock the benefits that engaged employees brings, including:
• Comprehensive culture re-set for a care organisation of circa 250 employees
• Partnered the Retail Director team with implementation of senior retail restructure (352 grocery shops)
• Integrated a foreign acquisition (£2.6M a week sales)
• Responsibility for the people aspects of a retail operations area of 4,000 employees, with annual sales of £550M
• Led the people aspects of an organisational change programme for a 21 site distribution and supply chain function, increasing revenue from £4M to £20M in 5 years
• Developed a reputation for excellence in disciplinary and grievance – excelling at complex cases including 9 dismissals, a group grievance raised by 8 leaders, and tribunal experience
FIND OUT MORE
I am a leader in an organisation
I am a small business owner
I am looking for thinking space